Monday, November 10, 2008

Which is worse, the Heartbreaker or the Blowout?

Losing sucks. Fans of Kansas City sports fans have all figured that out by now; I don’t have to list the statistics that prove it sucks to be a Chiefs and Royals fan. Yesterday's loss in San Diego reminds us what it’s like to lose a heartbreaker for the third week in a row. This is after the Chiefs were absolutely humiliated for much of the rest of the season. So, which sucks more?

To me, the answer is pretty simple: at least I can watch the close game. The loss against Carolina was much worse. There was no hope.* There was no escape. We were all doomed to watch the worst NFL team ever. Eh. Now they’re not even the worst team in Missouri, thank you very much St. Louis. They just got destroyed by the Jets, whom the Chiefs should have beaten in the first of the string of heartbreakers. And their city smells.

*Here’s where I put the obligatory reference to the last line of The Shawshank Redemption about the word “hope.” But I’ll spare you.

The thing is, there is hope. If you squint just right, the Chiefs look like a team that could win next year. Heck, they’re three plays away from being on a 3-game winning streak and being only one game behind a struggling Denver team for the division lead.

Maybe on a future day I’ll bore my puny readership with a more well-thought analysis of this team’s future. Or maybe I’ll stand on my head for a while and videotape it for your amusement. Either way you’ll probably skip it.

No comments: