Monday, November 17, 2008

Inside Drew Brees’ Mind

image

Well, no one’s open. Let’s wait and see if something happens. Still no one open? Something’s wrong. Usually there’s some 300 pound guy on top of me by now. What’s going on? Am I wearing that red practice jersey by mistake? Hmm. Wait, someone might be open. Nevermind, that’s just the referee. Boy am I hungry. I could sure go for some of that famous KC barbecue after the game.

image

Get your head in the game, meat! You might get hit by a defensive end. He’s only a yard away from me now. Maybe if I drift right I can buy still more time.

No one’s open. This pocket sure is lonely. I miss my wife.

image

Oh, wait. Someone’s open. I’d better throw the ball. There, that was nice. First down. This football thing is easy.

 

…And that’s why the Chiefs are 1-8. Six sacks. As a team. All season. And none yesterday against the Saints and Drew Brees, who leads the league in passing yards.

The Chiefs lead the league in turnovers forced. Usually that makes for a good defense. The problem is, anyone can throw against that defense. They have the youngest defensive line in football – the starters are a rookie, two second-year players, and a third-year player who is hurt. Defensive linemen are notoriously slow to develop at the NFL level. This is the first level where their sheer size and athletic ability does not overwhelm and they have to learn how to use their skills as well. So not all hope is lost for the future, just for the present.

Really, this defense is an end, a middle linebacker, and a year or two away from being really good. The secondary is pretty much set with young athletic ball-hawks. Those guys don’t need all the developmental time that the linemen need. Give it time. This team sucks, but at least they’re not Detroit.

No comments: