Thursday, December 11, 2008

Things to do when you’re unemployed, part six: Drift

image 

VINCENT: So if you're quitting the life, what'll you do?

JULES: That's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm gonna deliver this case to Marsellus. Then, basically, I'm gonna walk the earth.

VINCENT: What do you mean, walk the earth?

JULES: You know, like Caine in Kung Fu. Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.

VINCENT: How long do you intend to walk the earth?

JULES: Until God puts me where he want me to be.

VINCENT: What if he never does? JULES: If it takes forever, I'll wait forever. VINCENT: So you decided to be a bum?

When I was in college, I knew a hippie. I mean, not a real hippie. Those mostly died out in the ‘60s. That or they moved to a commune in Oregon or an ice cream factory in Vermont. But this guy wore tie dye, had long hair, and smoked a lot of weed. After he graduated, he essentially became a drifter. I know this because he showed up at my apartment and crashed on my couch for a month. At least he wasn’t a smelly hippie – he spent an hour every day in the shower. He also carried Super Bouncy Balls to hand out to people he met in the street. Don’t ask.

image

While I consider my lifestyle choices, I never planned on living like this hippie. That said, it’s not a bad lifestyle. I need to learn some hobo signs.

image

That and I need to learn how to make a hobo pack. I never understood how they got all their stuff into a sack on a stick.

image

No comments: